Applied Anatomy Intensive for Yoga Teachers and Students
3 – 5 March 2017
As part of the Yoga Workshop’s Learning Center we are happy to present a full weekend of experiential anatomy education. The course, developed by Asha Wolf, has grown out of her work as a professional movement analyst and Doctor of Physical Therapy, also teaching anatomy for Richard’s Freeman’s month-long teachers intensive, as well as from the courses she presents throughout the US.
This intensive is designed to inform and inspire yoga teachers, body workers, yoga students and movement therapists who wish to refine their understanding of movement and the body. Over the course of the weekend students will receive a thorough understanding of how various critical joints work and the relationship of movements to a sustained yoga practice. Students will begin to develop a knowing of how to work intelligently to avoid injury as well as how to address pre-existing injuries and physical limitations.
This intensive is open to all individuals with one or more years of a regular yoga practice. Students from all styles of yoga are welcome. Time will be divided between lecture and functional application, so please come prepared and dressed to practice yoga!
Apply anatomy and kinesiology to your yoga practice and teaching!
Join Asha Wolf, DPT, CMA, E-RYT for a special three-day intensive combining medical anatomy with classical yoga training! In this course we will study the major joints, muscles and connective tissues in the human body. We will explore the principles of acupuncture, structural integration and energy anatomy, as well as learn proper kinetics as applied to yoga asana. Participants will gain confidence in knowing which movements are appropriate and which are contraindicated for particular medical conditions and injuries. The anatomy presented will be simple, powerfully relevant, and easily applied to a variety of yoga postures and sequences.
Please contact Asha, program director, at email@example.com
Asha is truly a master of her craft; she gives brilliant verbal cues and hands-on adjustments, leads one-on-one and in a group setting with precision and encouragement, and shares her vast knowledge of anatomy with great clarity.
Over the course of the weekend we will learn how to:
- Apply basic anatomy to our yoga practice and teaching
- Create simple yoga-based sequences to assist movement re-patterning
- Use asana as a therapeutic modality of healing
- Support ourselves and our students/clients through an injury rehabilitation process
Topics covered will include:
- Understanding complicated joints including the knee, SI joint and shoulder
- The importance of being grounded and internally awake through feet, pelvic floor and psoas
- The function and relationship of the abdominals to the practice and the body
- How to recognize and work with scoliosis
- Cultivating a healthy back and taking care of back problems
- Why energy anatomy is relevant and important to a balanced practice
This valuable intensive is ideal for:
- Yoga Teachers
- Movement Therapists
- Yoga Students
This 21-hour course includes the following:
- Lectures and discussions on human anatomy
- Practicum on application of anatomy to yoga asana
- Seminars with expert guest speakers on energy anatomy and bodywork
- Detailed yoga and teaching practices for various applications.
- Q&A discussion sessions
- Anatomy book and course-specific handouts.
- Certificate of completion + 21 qualified contact hours for Yoga Alliance’s continuing education credit
This schedule is subject to change but will give you an idea of the timing of the Intensive.
Friday, March 3
- 8:00 – 8:30am: Registration and Opening Circle
- 8:30 – 12:00pm: Knees and Feet
- 12:00 – 1:00pm: Lunch Break
- 1:00 – 2:00pm: Energy Anatomy with Susan Chiocchi
- 2:00 – 5:00pm: Lumbar Spine and Abdominals
Saturday, March 4
- 8:30 – 12:00pm: Sacro-Iliac Joint and Related Syndromes
- 12:00 – 1:00pm: Lunch Break
- 1:00 – 2:00pm: The Hip Joint
- 2:00 – 5:00pm: Psoas and Pelvic Floor
Sunday, March 5
- 8:30 – 12:00pm: Scoliosis and Back Therapy Applications
- 12:00 – 1:00pm: Lunch Break
- 1:00 – 2:00pm: Bodywork with Dan Michael
- 2:00 – 4:30pm: Shoulders
- 4:30 – 5:00pm: Closing Circle
Asha has a unique lens through which to see movement in asana in new ways.
Asha Wolf, DPT, CMA, E-RYT holds a Doctorate in Physical Therapy and is a Certified Movement Analyst through the Laban/Bartenieff Institute of Movement Studies. A certified yoga instructor since 1992, Asha leads a variety of yoga workshops, anatomy courses, and yoga trainings and classes in Boulder, CO and throughout the United States. Asha is the director of Wolf Physical Rehab, specializing in aiding patients with chronic pain issues and injury rehabilitation using yoga as the primary modality of treatment.
Asha is gifted with a keen eye and an intuitive understanding of body kinetics and energy, allowing her to help others access their own body’s wisdom and follow it in to healing. In addition to her yoga courses and her private practice, she enjoys offering yoga inspired equine interactive retreats and is author of Salads Make Me Happy: Romping through the Raw.www.wolfphysicalrehab.com
The sessions were structured with a perfect balance of theory and practical application, and the instruction was thorough and easy for someone without an anatomy background to understand.
Dan Michael has been a body worker for almost 20 years. He is an Advanced Structural Integration Therapist in the tradition of Ida Rolf as well as being certified in a wide range of modalities including, Neuromuscular, Polarity, Deep Tissue and Reiki. Dan’s teaching and bodywork are informed by an in depth practice of Ashtanga yoga through four series of the system and a lifetime of moving in his body in varied athletic adventures.
Susan Chiocchi has been working with energy anatomy in her private healing practice, yoga teaching and Reiki teaching for 15 years. Her instruction melds experience with continued studies of the human energy system ranging from functional neuroscience to Tibetan Bon tantric practices. She has practiced yoga and meditation for more than 25 years, is a Certified Reiki Master Teacher and has a diploma in Brennan Healing Science.
Tuition and Registration
- Early Registration $350 (until 3 February) $395 after (until 17 February)
- Your payment includes a $100 non-refundable deposit.
- Early registration deadline is 3 February. Regular price deadline is 17 February.
- Should you decide to cancel, we will give a refund, minus the $100 non-refundable deposit, up to Friday, February 17. No refunds will be given after that point.
- Space is limited, pre-registration is required, early registration is encouraged.
- In the event that there is insufficient enrollment to hold the course, the course will be cancelled February 18 and FULL refunds will be issued.
Asha presented the material in an engaging, informative, concise way that held my attention. Practicing the theory behind the lecture was helpful to integrate all of the information. She was very knowledgeable, open to questions, and a true light. She is a great resource for yoga students and teachers, and we are lucky to have her here.